The Downtown Vitality Awards are given annually to businesses and organizations in recognition of significant achievements in enhancing the vitality of Downtown Calgary, as a premiere place to work, live and play.
These businesses and organizations help to meet the Calgary Downtown Association's mission to champion a vital, prosperous, attractive and livable downtown community for everyone to enjoy.
The categories can change year-to-year depending on what is occurring downtown, however there are 8 main categories:
Social and Safety
Arts and Culture
Community integration and Vibrancy
2012 recipients — May 2, 2013 Annual General Meeting
Some of our past recipients over the years are:
- Enhancing the Downtown through Urban Design - Eighth Avenue Place
- Enhancing the Downtown through Urban Design - Bow Valley College North Campus - GEC Architecture
- Enhancing the Downtown through Urban Design - University of Calgary's Downtown Campus, Marchall Tittemore Architects
- Increasing +15 Vitality with the 2011 +15 Parade - One Yellow Rabbit / Hiigh Perfromace Rodeo
- Streetscape and Environmental Improvements with The CORE, TD Square, HOlt Rebfrew - 20 VIC
- Streetscape and Environmental Improvements with the 20 Minute Makeover - Centre City Implementation Team
- Excellent Community Partnerhsip - Clean to the Core
- Improving Overall Vitality with the WEST Patio - Concorde Group
- Improving Overall Vitality with NYE Bash at Olympic Plaza - City TV Calgary
- Improvements to Downtown Safety — Constable Mark Kane, Calgary Police Service
- Beautifying the Downtown - Jamieson Place, Bentall LP
- Beautifying the Downtown - Joe Fafard's - Do Ra Me Fa Sol La Si Do, Seiben Family, PennWest Energy and Stampede Public Art Committee
- Increasing Downtown Vibrancy - SNOWBLOWER, High Performance Rodeo
- Community Integration and Vibrancy - Heritage Tours, TransAlta Retirees Group
- Streetscape Improvements and Environmental Stewardship - Riverwalk, Calgary Municipal Lands Corporation
- Streetscape Improvements - Olympic Plaza Temporary Art Installations, Park 100 year Celebration
- Community Partnerships - Community Gardens, Standard Life Assurance Company of Canada
- Urban Design Excellence - Fifth and Fifth, GWL Reality Advisors, Kasian Architecture
- Urban Design Excellence - Hotel Le Germain, Groupe Germain Hospitality
- Heritage Preservation - Fashion Central, Encorp Management
- Advocacy of the Downtown — Mayor Dave Bronconnier
- Improvements to downtown safety in 2009 - Calgary Police Service, District 1
- Increasing downtown vibrancy in 2009 with the Grey Cup Festival — The Grey Cup Festival Committee
- Downtown Communication — The Calgary Herald
- Community Integration and Vibrancy — Aboriginal First Nations Conference
- Beautifying the Downtown — John Torode "The Root"
- Beautifying the Downtown through Public Art — Brookfield Properties Corporation
- Revitalizing the Streetscape at Gulf Canada Square — Great West Life Reality Advisors
- Enhancing Streetscape — Holt Renfrew
- Increasing Vibrancy and Community Integration — Harvard Property Management
- Terry Rock (Calgary Arts Development) and Marco De Iaco (Tourism Calgary) for endless effort in bringing the JUNOs to Calgary in 2008.
- Steve Eichler for leading the growth of Downtown Calgary's most significant festival — Folk Fest. Recognition also to Kerri Clark who worked closely with Steve to make it all happen.
- Downtown Bylaws Team for focus on safety and cleanliness
- Darryl Cariou from the City of Calgary for preserving and enhancing Calgary's downtown heritage buildings.
- GWL Realty Advisors for architectural significance of the Courthouse building